I’m sick. But it’s the long weekend! But I’m sick. To get me though this Friday night dilemma, I made myself a Hot Toddy (and then the fiancé made me a few more). A Hot Toddy is an alcoholic beverage designed to make sick people feel ok about drinking. It actually was once recommended to fight colds (vitamin C packed lemon, soothing honey, and numbing cognac) but has fallen out of favour since alcohol can dehydrate you. I’ll be sure to follow the now recommended regime of plenty of (other) fluids, lots of bed rest, and a marathon Disney movies tomorrow.
There are many many MANY different recipes out there for Hot Toddy, this is just how I like it. Feel free to substitute any ingredients with what you have on hand.
Here’s what you need:
- Cognac (Brandy or Whiskey works too)
- Tea (I used pumpkin spice here, black and chi are other favourites)
- 1/4 lemon
- Cinnamon stick
Here’s what you do:
- Get your tea brewing.
- Coat the bottom of your mug with a heaping teaspoon of honey.
- Squeeze in a quarter lemon. Add a shot of your spirit.
- Pour in you steaming hot tea and add the cinnamon. I had some fresh cranberries on hand so I threw a couple in. Gotta be a few extra vitamins in there.